ACM SIGMOD, 26 May 2016:
Professor Martin Kersten (CWI and MonetDB Solutions), and a member of the ExaNeSt Consortium, is the recipient of the 2016 SIGMOD Systems Award for the design and implementation of MonetDB, a pioneering main-memory database system based on a columnar data organization, which is also one of the key applications in ExaNeSt.
Call for Tenders, 28 April 2016:
QFDBrevA CfT: Call for Tenders for selecting a Contractor based on Negotiations, for the Implementation of the Quad-FPGA Daughter Board (revision A) Test PCBs.
Press Release, 7 April 2016:
ExaNoDe selects underlying technology components: The ExaNoDe project is part of a wider group of EU funded projects as part of a strategic vision for economical, low-power approaches. Together with ExaNeSt, EcoSCALE and Mont-Blanc, which are also funded from the EU framework program for research and innovation Horizon 2020, ExaNoDe will use an ARM-based architecture as a major component of its compute nodes.
Press Release, 1 February 2016:
How to fit ten million computers into a single Supercomputer? – The ExaNeSt project paves the way: European consortium becomes the trailblazer in the development of the most challenging architectures in next-generation computing. [PDF ]
ExaNeSt in the News:
- HPC Wire, 24 Feb. 2016: "EU Projects Unite on Heterogeneous ARM-based Exascale Prototype", by Tiffany Trader.
- HPC Wire, 24 Feb. 2016: "BeeGFS Parallel File System Now Open Source".
- V3 UK technology news, 26 Feb. 2016: "EU exascale project to create ARM-based prototype by end of the year", by Graeme Burton.
- The Register, 2 Feb. 2016: "Exascale project wants machine with TEN MEEELLION ARMS", by Richard Chirgwin.
ExaNeSt in the HiPEAC 2016 Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, 18-20 January 2016
- ExaNeSt Poster.
- "Challenges and Opportunities in Exascale-Computing Interconnects": Keynote Talk, given by Manolis Katevenis and Nikolaos Chrysos, at the 1st International Workshop on Advanced Interconnect Solutions and Technologies for Emerging Computing Systems (AISTECS 2016), held in conjunction with the HiPEAC 2016 Conference.
ExaNeSt kick-off meeting, 10-11 December 2015:
All ExaNeSt partners have met in Heraklion last week to get our exciting project started. During these two days of intense discussions, we exchanged on a variety of technical matters:
- Applications for the exascale era, both in HPC and Big-data contexts
- Interconnect architecture, implementation and simulation
- Design of exabyte storage systems
- Implementation of our node and rack prototypes
- Integration and optimization of the partners' applications onto our prototypes
We also discussed many management points:
- Project schedule and collaboration axes
- Day-to-day management
- Reporting of resources, publications and dissemination activities
- Utilization of the project website and collaborative software infrastructure
You can also view many pictures of the event on our Twitter account.
The European Exascale Projects, including ExaNeSt, were presented and discussed at a Bird-of-a-Feather session at Supercomputing'15 (SC15), in Austin, TX USA, on 19 November 2015: see the main slides here, and the overall BoF and conclusions here.
FET-HPC Projects Meeting, 30 Sep 2015:
- The first meeting of the FET-HPC projects that resulted from the November 2014 Call was held in Rome, on 30 September 2015;
- A Summary of this meeting plus other news appear in the Article: EU invests €140 million for world leadership in supercomputing technologies and applications.
- The ExaNeSt project was presented at this meeting and the Slides are available here: ExaNeSt_in5min_150930pub.pdf
- An infographic describes what High Performance Computing (HPC) is, what the HPC applications are, and what the European Commission does within its HPC strategy.
- Why do supercomputers matter for your everyday life? - by Roberto Viola, Director-General (DG Communications Networks, Content and Technologies) and Robert-Jan Smits, Director-General (DG Research and Innovation).
HPC User Forum, 25 Sep. 2015:
In a video from the Disruptive Technologies session at the 2015 HPC User Forum, Peter Hopton from Iceotope presents:
ExaNeSt technology: Targeting Exascale in 2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM0hkOLOzkw
Also reported in http://insidehpc.com/2015/09/exanest-technology-targeting-exascale-in-2018/